Thursday, July 29, 2010

FAITH

I am terrified of flying. However I love to travel, therefore I had to learn to deal with my fright. Recently I took a trip required me to take three different planes and lasted about 16 hours up in the air. At the longest flight, my seat was located where I could see the movements of the plane’s wings through the wind and the clouds from my tiny oval window. First time in my life I dared myself to look out and watch the plane took off.

I could feel the roaring of the engine under my feet while watching the flight attendant demonstrating safety procedures. Does anyone believe these safety procedures really work? At that moment of panic and horror, who would have the state of mind to even locate their life jacket under the seat? Still, I listened like a good student, trying not to miss one detail. Quickly and discreetly I checked under my seat to make sure the lifejacket was there. Then I looked around to locate the closest exit as the flight attendant asked us to do. Now I was ready for any disaster.

I realized that everyone got really quite as the plane was airborne, everyone was anxious, one way or another. I looked out and saw the sky tearing. Sun was setting and the clouds looked heavenly. It was so amazing that my fright felt so insignificant. I was in awe. I said to myself, if something goes wrong and I die, what a way to go. Then a serene calmness took over me like a warm shower. I was not afraid, not any more. Not that I was ok with dying, it is the facing of the inevitable. It is when you know hopelessness is not a choice. This plane goes down, you are dead. I am dead, my son with his little head on my lap sleeping is dead, sweet baby next row sucking on her mother’s breast is dead, rowdy teenagers in front are dead, beautiful flight attendance is dead, the pilot is dead, everyone is dead, dead… So what choice do you have but surrender?

Is this the surrender what everyone calls “faith”? You must have faith that everything will go 100% right in that flight. Every little bolt will stay in its place, wings will not break away, engines will not fail, birds will not fly into the propellers, all electrical systems will work fine and the metal tube you are sitting inside will be strong enough to handle all turbulence. Yes, this is the promise with you are stepping into that airplane. So, what else can we call it but utter and unquestioned faith? Faith in its most undiluted form. And that faith was what came over me when I decided to enjoy my flight instead of being scared to death. And believe it or not, every time you step into a plane to fly somewhere you are armed with the same exact faith, even if you do not recognize it at the time. Well, because you do not have another option, enjoy the sunset!

No comments: